July 7, 2010

Lazy, hazy, crazy.

Heatwave, baby. It's stinky in the house, aside from the bedroom, where the A/C has reached tundra levels of cool.

But we now have a time-honored summer accessory -- the hammock. It's set up under an enormous, ancient, shady tree, and it's the perfect place to read. When I can shoo the kids out of it and demand my turn, that is.

I'm finishing Meg Rosoff's How I Live Now, which is brilliant and funny and frightening and sweet all at the same time (no mean feat in a book about war, let me tell you), and I'm a little bit in love with Daisy, the protagonist. I keep savoring it and putting it down because I don't really want it to end.

When I need a break from the book, though, this is what I see:


Yes, those are my knees, and my favorite ever pair of shorts. The day they self-destruct will be a sad, sad day, let me tell you right now.

Soon enough the book will be over, though. Of course, it's not like I don't have a million other books waiting to be read, but I'm really enjoying this one. I imagine Daisy and Piper would have had a lot of views like this, while they were walking through the English countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment