January 4, 2012

Fearless

This picture sums up the way I want to tackle 2012.


It's a picture I love, because the perspective makes it look like the guy in the photo (incidentally, Brendon Urie, the lead singer of Panic at the Disco) just jumped from a plane or something. (He didn't. He also had solid ground to land on, although you can't see it here.)

But even though I know that, every time I look at this picture, I get that trippy little adrenaline rush. It's not easy to get me to jump off the high dive, and I really doubt sky-diving is in my future, but that doesn't matter. Everyone knows what it feels like to make a leap like that, of whatever kind, when your stomach turns over and everything goes buzzy and electric for a minute. It's a good feeling. And to get there, you have to let go of your fear of whatever you're leaping into, whether it's speaking in public or killing the nasty-ass spider in the kitchen or submitting your work for publication or telling someone you love them for the first time.

Fearless. That's the mood I want to go for this year, so I can make those leaps all over the place.

Jessica Corra and Erin Bowman (and a bunch of others) posted in the last few days about their "word of the year," and that's partly what inspired me. Because last year was ... hard. And good! And in between, and boring, and funny, and terrifying, and happy, like most years are, I think. What I want in 2012 is to face all those things with a little more courage, and maybe do some things I wouldn't have last year.

Another friend, the wonderful Lady of the Manners (whose book, Gothic Charm School: An Essential Guide for Goths and Those Who Love Them is a Harper book!), decided to make a playlist for her new year, and I love that idea, too. More on that tomorrow, since I have to figure out what the right songs will be for me.

Song suggestions gratefully accepted! And please share any stories of your own fearlessness. Inspiration is a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment