August 15, 2012

Odds and ends. Mostly odds, actually.

Look what came in the mail yesterday, courtesy of the wonderful people at Curtis Brown?


It's the German edition of Cold Kiss, and trusted friends tell me the title translates to, "Your lips are cold," which has been making me snicker ever since. But, you know, Danny's lips are cold, so ...

Getting foreign editions of my books is always a trip -- it's sort of incomprehensible that I wrote the words but I can't read them. And foreign covers are always so different from American ones! This one seems to skew a little younger than the U.S. cover for Cold Kiss, but it also confused me for a minute because the palette is much more like Glass Heart. So pretty! I love the tree.

And, despite the fact that I should stop taking pictures with my phone, here is my current to-be-read pile, or at least part of it:


I had started The Night Circus a while ago, and got distracted by ... something shiny, I assume, or else, um, Supernatural fanfic, but I want to get back to it. And I've been meaning to read Going Bovine for ... ever, really. The others are The History of Love, The Maze Runner (which my awesome niece sent to me with instructions to READ NOW), and A Brief History of Montmaray, which is winning out so far simply because I just finished Code Name Verity, and this novel is pre-WWII. If any of you have read I Capture the Castle (which you totally should, and was written by the same author who wrote 101 Dalmations!), this has very much the same dreamy, quirky vibe of quaint charm and a time gone by.

In other news, I have started to watch Teen Wolf, because I hear that's what you do now. It's very pretty so far, and very often shirtless, which is not unappreciated. My general reaction (only two episodes in) is that Allison is absolutely beautiful and looks a lot older than she's supposed to be, and I would happily watch "The Stiles Show" every day and twice on Sundays. I did appreciate Lydia kicking ass at solving the math problem, though. And thank you NetFlix for streaming it. Very helpful.

8 comments:

  1. Omw I LOVE "I would happily watch 'The Stile Show' every day and twice on Sundays.' I adore you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you watch it? I'm not very far in, but it's really a lot of fun. ;-)

      Delete
  2. You'll really enjoy "The Night Circus." I loved Morgenstern's details.

    I love seeing international covers. I like how they translated it. I really liked the UK covers for Laini Taylor's new series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen those -- I'll have to look. I have some really interesting ones of my old romances, too.

      The Night Circus is so my thing, I have no idea now why I put it down. My attention span needs some work lately, though.

      Delete
  3. The cover is beautiful and so is the book! I read it at a stretch and I truly loved it <3 love from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've inspired me to pick up Code Name Verity -- I had the same issue, really. WW2 isn't really my thing, but I'm a little more hopeful now.

    And re: Teen Wolf... It gets SO much better. AND STILES... I know this might sound impossible, but he gets even more awesome. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Code Name Verity is such a wonderful book. Not easy or lighthearted, but if you're a Teen Wolf fan, I assume you know angst. ;-) I still need to finish the first season, but Supernatural is coming back tomorrow night, and most of my focus is firmly on Winchesters at the moment. ;-)

      Delete